Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Isopropanol Ether And Water Distillation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Jen_*

Guest_Jen_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:45 PM

Hi

I really need some help. I have projects that consist in separate isopropyl alcohol (IPA), isopropyl ether and water by a distillation process. The only specification design is to recover 99.5 wt% of IPA from a mixture of IPA 58 wt%, Isopropyl ether 6wt% and water 36 wt%.

I don't have any conditions of operation specified. I know that the mixture will have an azeotrope. How can I determine the operation conditions? Also how can I set which kind of separation will be better (azeotropic or extraction)?

Can you recommend me some literature?

Thanks a lot

Jenny

#2 siretb

siretb

ChE Jedi

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:39 AM

Hi

I have not checked the azeotropes, but would assume that in a distillation an heteroazeotrope water-DIPE would go on on top and that the alcool would stay in the bottoms. A IPA-water azeotrope is also highly likely to exist.
A residue curve , starting with your feed mixture would be of help

First identify all azeotropes and their boiling points

I would then check wheter you have a chance of handling your mixture as if it wer a binary system, made of
either (DIPE water azeotrope/ isopropanol)
of (DIPE water azeotrope/ isopropanol water azeoptrope)
and attempt graphical methods (Mc Cabe & thiele)
in any case it would give you a starting point to feed a computer program that handlesq LLE systems. You will need a computer model if you use a computer. in such case I'd advise NRTL or UNIQUAC as a second choice.

You mention extractive distillation. note that pervaporartion can be used also for such separations

Also you need to specify BOTH the purity required (ie 99.5%wt) and the fraction of initial feed you want to recover.
Hope this will help. If you need more, please supply recovery and purity specifications as well as azeotropic information.