Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reading A P&id

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 metoo24

metoo24

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hi all,
Im a student in process engineering, I really have difficulties in reading a P&ID, can anyone please send an example of P&ID with comments, thanx

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

If you are having difficulties with reading a P&ID, then submit a typical P&ID in Excel format with call outs stating what is the difficulties you are having and where.

Also submit information to us as to your background, training, and level in University. Tell us the Name of the University as well.
This will get us to the root of the problem(s) and we will re-submit our comments and explanations on your queries.

Why do you expect us to spend time generating a P&ID, fill it with comments about subjects we have not had identified?

#3 Matteo Giorgio Marrano

Matteo Giorgio Marrano

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (metoo24 @ Dec 17 2008, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,
Im a student in process engineering, I really have difficulties in reading a P&ID, can anyone please send an example of P&ID with comments, thanx

Hi meto,
what kind of comments would you like to receive?

A P&I or PFD is a simple drawing that follow many rules of drawings, that in italy we learn at university (chemical engineering degree) during the exams of "chemical plants I, II,II" or similar courses.
We draw them with autocad and not with excel like american guys do because autocad is easier to use to make that kind of documents (i see that in america people don't agree with my words).

I will attach a typical "list of symbols and legends" used in PFD and P&I so that you can understand more...You can print it in A3 format and see what each symbols represent in a P&I.
Note that each company may have different ways to draw a component or instrument.

If you want i can attach also a P&i made by us, but i think that as you are a chemical engineers, you will have in your hand many many P&I'D to work on...

greetings
Matteo

Attached Files

#4 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

I wonder if you have difficulties in reading a P&ID, what is the point of getting another P&ID with comments...

What is the real difficulties ?

#5 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:21 AM

For your information, companies in the USA use AutoCAD as well for making P&IDs and PFDs.

#6 Matteo Giorgio Marrano

Matteo Giorgio Marrano

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

yeah i know smile.gif

But many people here told me that it's strange that a chemical engineer uses autocad to make his pfd and p&id's.

greetings

#7 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:12 PM

You seem disappointed in making this statement, Matteo, and I'm not sure why. I readily agree that Autocad is a GREAT program. You can do anything and everything with it. But I think there are 2 disadvantages to it that preclude its adoption amongst many chemical engineers. One is that it is quite expensive; the other is that it has a steep learning curve/is difficult to master. For many engineers, a much cheaper and simpler drawing program suffices. Today, the very capable Excel may be used to create quite complex drawings. Previously (and even today), simple, relatively inexpensive, but still very capable programs such as Visio were commonly used. In these forums, we can expect that many of the readers will NOT have Autocad on their computers. Therefore its use here really should be discouraged. But we've gotten distracted. Send us some specific questions regarding reading/understanding P&ID's.

#8 Komal shah

Komal shah

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

First go through the process description of the palnt ,,then go throught he legend & then try to read the P & ID,,,m sure from the process point of view u'll be able to read it & then go through control logics that will give u contrl systems to protect the equipment or palnt.

Regrds,
komal maskariya

#9 PLCMentor.com

PLCMentor.com

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:10 PM

Well this looks like it has been sitting here a while so hopefully this is not too late or helps someone else. I cant send a P&ID with explainations because all that I have are proprietary. I can guide you the ISA.org website where many of the definitions that will help you will be located. You might also look for the ISA S5.1 standard which has the chart to help you define what all the bubbles or circles with text and numbers in them mean.

I hope to complete a video on P&ID's on our PLCMentor.com automation training site, but have not done so yet. I hope this helped a little. Please post back if you have more questions.

Russell

#10 denizen360

denizen360

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

For reading you must be familiar with the symbols and legends..I will give you a link..after reading the article you can easily read the p&id (pipng/process instrument diagram) and pfd(process flow digram).

Learn to read p&id and pfd

#11 tojo360

tojo360

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:04 AM

i gone through the link which you have given ..they have updated the same.. that is very helpful..
how to interpret p&id(Piping and instrument diagram)

#12 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:43 AM

In the past, thread http://www.cheresour...h__1#entry46513 discussed Process Flow Sheet and P&iDs. I believe it is worth while looking into it.

#13 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:15 AM

You seem disappointed in making this statement, Matteo, and I'm not sure why. I readily agree that Autocad is a GREAT program. You can do anything and everything with it. But I think there are 2 disadvantages to it that preclude its adoption amongst many chemical engineers. One is that it is quite expensive; the other is that it has a steep learning curve/is difficult to master. For many engineers, a much cheaper and simpler drawing program suffices....

Matter has been discussed in http://www.cheresour...h__1#entry37477. In my opinion autocad is best for PIDs and productivity can be satisfactory by elementary training. I have seen Chemical Engineers in Autocad courses. On the other hand it is very expensive (if you cannot use it at work). If an autocad drawing is attached to a post, we should have the relevant viewer to see it (but no editing).
It would be convenient for forum readers to receive drawings in Adobe Acrobat Reader format (.pdf); autocad and other drawings can be converted in this format. There will be no "edit" possibility.
Above as a parenthesis to main subject.