Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

What Is Difference Between Debottlenecking And Revamping Of Process Pl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 dhns

dhns

Gold Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

Dear all,

Could you please,Anybody Explain about the terms "Debottlenecking" and "Revamping "..and what is diffrence between two ?

Thanks,
dhns.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:59 AM

dhns:

These are typical, vernacular, American terms used in common engineering language. These terms have made an entry into the literature and some text books and, since I presume you are an Indian who has not been exposed to American idiosyncracies, you are confused by the use of these terms.

I have used these terms myself frequently in the past and the following is what I interpret as their meaning:

de-bottlenecking:
This is a term used to describe the act of remeding or removing the problems or constraints within a piece of equipment or a process. It is taken from the shape of the original Coca-Cola bottle, which had a very narrow neck that served as a constraint or resistance to the pouring out of the cola. To de-bottleneck is to remove obstacles that are preventing a process from being more efficient or workable.

revamping:
This is a term used to describe the act of improving, modifying, or re-structuring a process in order to obtain improved (or increased) production from it. It also can mean changes made to a process for the purpose of changing the operation or production of other products.

#3 mrj

mrj

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (dhns @ Jan 30 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear all,

Could you please,Anybody Explain about the terms "Debottlenecking" and "Revamping "..and what is diffrence between two ?

Thanks,
dhns.

Dear,

"Revamp" for a process plant may be for increasing the capcity or improving the product quality of existing plant by adding some extra unit operations like reactors, columns, exchangers.

For this upgradation some unit operation may not have sufficient capacity to bear the increased load. It may be any unit like pump, exchanger or a pipeline also. Identifying that unit and getting the desierd capacity by necessary changes is "Debottlenecking"

mukund

#4 dhns

dhns

Gold Member

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:12 AM

Dear Mr.Art,

Thanks for your reply message,
regards,
Dhns.
QUOTE (Art Montemayor @ Jan 30 2009, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
dhns:

These are typical, vernacular, American terms used in common engineering language. These terms have made an entry into the literature and some text books and, since I presume you are an Indian who has not been exposed to American idiosyncracies, you are confused by the use of these terms.

I have used these terms myself frequently in the past and the following is what I interpret as their meaning:

de-bottlenecking:
This is a term used to describe the act of remeding or removing the problems or constraints within a piece of equipment or a process. It is taken from the shape of the original Coca-Cola bottle, which had a very narrow neck that served as a constraint or resistance to the pouring out of the cola. To de-bottleneck is to remove obstacles that are preventing a process from being more efficient or workable.

revamping:
This is a term used to describe the act of improving, modifying, or re-structuring a process in order to obtain improved (or increased) production from it. It also can mean changes made to a process for the purpose of changing the operation or production of other products.