Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Water Softening By Ion Exchange

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:44 AM

Dear All,
I am assigned to develop a new project for expansion of Water treatment facility at our Fertilizer Manufacturing site. I need to know that how shall I calculate the Quantity of Acid (Sulfuric Acid 98%) required to regenerate Strong Acid Cation resin, if i am provided the raw water analysis? Is there any sample calculations you people have? Plz reply.

Regards
Muhammad Ali

#2 imran.idris

imran.idris

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:52 AM

Usually, cation or anion are chemicals which can exchange their ions with minerals in water at specific operating conditions. And yes, it is quite possible to estimate the exact amount of acid or base required to regenerate a cation or anion bed.
Before going to design an ion exchange unit, the things you need to know are:
1. Water chemistry (Ca++, Mg++, Na++, SiO2, Cl-, So4-- etc.)
2. Water flow
3. Duration of operation cycle / bed (time required for a bed to get exhausted after which it needs re-generation)

If you want the details for designing, I can provide you the reference.

Regards,
Imran Idris
http://forums.thepetrostreet.com
imranidris@thepetrostreet.com

#3 Profe

Profe

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 316 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

Hi Muhammad Ali

For your request, please rerview the next address: http://www.dow.com/l...esign_regen.htm

Good luck. :rolleyes:

#4 Erwin APRIANDI

Erwin APRIANDI

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:56 AM

Dear All,
I am assigned to develop a new project for expansion of Water treatment facility at our Fertilizer Manufacturing site. I need to know that how shall I calculate the Quantity of Acid (Sulfuric Acid 98%) required to regenerate Strong Acid Cation resin, if i am provided the raw water analysis? Is there any sample calculations you people have? Plz reply.

Regards
Muhammad Ali

Hi Ali,

First to elaborate more on Strong Acid Cation Resin
Strong Acid Cation Resins. Strong acid resins are so named because their chemical behavior is similar to that of a strong acid. The resins are highly ionized in both the acid (R-SO3H) and salt (R-SO3Na) form. They can convert a metal salt to the corresponding acid by the reaction:

2(R-SO3H)+ NiCl2 --> (R-SO4),Ni+ 2HCI (5)

The hydrogen and sodium forms of strong acid resins are highly dissociated and the exchangeable Na+ and H+ are readily available for exchange over the entire pH range. Consequently, the exchange capacity of strong acid resins is independent of solution pH. These resins would be used in the hydrogen form for complete deionization; they are used in the sodium form for water softening (calcium and magnesium removal). After exhaustion, the resin is converted back to the hydrogen form (regenerated) by contact with a strong acid solution, or the resin can be convened to the sodium form with a sodium chloride solution. For Equation 5. hydrochloric acid (HCl) regeneration would result in a concentrated nickel chloride (NiCl,) solution.

You are asking about the quantity of sulphuric acid required, for this you just have to calculate how much is the required [H+] in order to replace all the cation which has been adsorp by the cation resin. But this is theoritically, I ve done this, and what you will required is more, since you also have to consider the required contact time for the reaction to happen and this will be different for different Resin type, pH and also Temperature, if you wanted an exact value of required sulphuric acid for regeneration. Which means you better to consult with the resin manufacturer

If not, just calculate the required [H+] based on the quantity of resin and add 50 to 100% margin for convinience. This is what I mostly done during my time as a water treatment designer