Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

From "lean Manufacturing" To "lean Engineering"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sheiko

sheiko

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 732 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:29 PM

Dears,

I am a process engineer working in an engineering company.

Recently, i have been proposed to participate to a conference on "lean manufacturing" and "lean engineering" with people from various fields (automotive, aeronautics, ...) but i am not familiar at all with these concepts.

I have made some research on the net. I have found a lot of info. but i hardly succeed in relating the "lean" concepts to my day to day activities.
What i understand is that "lean" aims at maximizing the production of valuable product by minimizing the so-called "wastes". But this seems very vague to me.

Then, i would like to know if you have experienced these concepts as chemical engineers (in an engineering or manufacturing company) and if you would accept to share your views on it. Any ideas/references will be more than welcomed.

To put it in a nutshell: What?, Which?, When?, Why?, Who? and How? (in the context of chemical engineering if possible)

Edited by sheiko, 14 September 2009 - 01:34 PM.

#2 Root

Root

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 293 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:29 AM

Hi,

Lean Manufacturing mean in short, very smart in all aspect of chemical engineering, 'ie' include very short team of technical people with smart process equipment or process units, you can find some examples like in IT companies or in Refineries. ( using ffc to convert Heavy residue in value added products)
you can read this book for more information on lean manufacturing and management,"The new lean Toolbox by John Bicheno"
hope you have now better idea.

Cheers

#3 riven

riven

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 178 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:19 AM

Lean manufacturing is something that could be seen as a 'put everything here' phase. Essentially it is above reducing everything associated with your plant that is a cost* (i.e. excessive raw material storage; why not optimise youre delivery contracts to suit your material usage so as to reduce your material storage).

Lean engineering?

*Cost is probably too broad, you probably would not include stuff like energy efficiency etc in this.