Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure Drop Across Control Valves

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 go-fish

go-fish

Gold Member

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

I am a budding process engineer. I am interested in knowing if one can simulate pressure drop across a temperature dependent control valve.

I am using Pro II and trying to simulate a process heater using a rigorous heat exchanger where steam inlet is throttled based on the outlet temperature of the process fluid. My design case has delta T as 20 deg. C and turndown case has delta T as 10 deg. C. The process fluid flow rate is constant and steam flow is required to be throttled in the turndown case.

Thanks

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

Nothing uncommon - that is exactly how the equipment works in reality. By opening or closing steam control valve the pressure in the exchanger channel head varies, thus varying the condensing temperature of steam. The steam header pressure is constant, and by varying control valve position you are varying DP across the valve, and the channel head pressure changes accordingly.

Read more in the attached file:

Attached Files

#3 go-fish

go-fish

Gold Member

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:46 AM

Nothing uncommon - that is exactly how the equipment works in reality. By opening or closing steam control valve the pressure in the exchanger channel head varies, thus varying the condensing temperature of steam. The steam header pressure is constant, and by varying control valve position you are varying DP across the valve, and the channel head pressure changes accordingly.

Read more in the attached file:

Thank you for the reply. Is there any way by which I can get dP across the steam control valve for various positions like 100% open, 70% open, 50% open? Does simulators have any in-built library from popular control valve vendors where I can just select % opening and the output automatically adjusts the pressure?

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:41 PM

You can try to play with that in Dynamics mode. Size the valve based on the information you have and Solver will calculate DP values based on flow-DP correlations. If you don't have any information about the valve, size it by yourself and plug design figures into Hysys - it shouldn't be more complicated than that.

For general valve characteristics, download: http://www.documenta.../book/cvh99.pdf or: http://www.engr.sjsu...otes/OZ1000.pdf