Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Nozzle Loads For Diaphragm Pumps

diaphragm pump nozzle loads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

Hi,

I am looking for a reference to determine the maximum nozzle loads for a small diaphragm pump. API 675 doesn't provide any guidance for that. Any help regarding this? Whether industry standard or text books?

Regards,

Sherif

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

I may be wrong, but I don't think you are allowed any nozzle loads on a pump.  This should be confirmed or identified by calling or writing the diaphragm pump manufacturer and requesting this information.

I never allow for any nozzle loads on centrifugal pump flanges and I consider a diaphragm pump more sensitive to external loads than a centrifugal pump.

#3 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,963 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Sherif,

Art is completely right; the only one who is authorized to submit the allowable nozzle loads for a pump, either centrifugal or diaphragm type, is relevant vendor...

#4 Kriss

Kriss

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:41 AM

Dear Art, Dear Fallah,

You explanation is correct. I will explain how we deal this issue as a Rotating equipment engineer.

It is the vendor who provides the allowable nozzle load. Many times allowable nozzle loads  are too less considered by vendor. upstream piping need more support. So normally we ask vendor during bidding stage that the allowable nozzle load required is at least 2 times API 610loads in case of centrifugal pumps.

For Reciprocating pumps, we don't ask vendor to provide sufficient nozzle loads because there is a suction pulsation dampner provided at suction, which is sized in such a way that it can withstand to the upstream pulsations.

krishna

#5 Sherif Morsi

Sherif Morsi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:46 AM

All,

Thank you for the valuable feedback. Of course, nozzle loads should be provided by the vendor; for centrifugal pumps, we have some guidelines to follow which is not the case for PD pumps. 

It should be noted that there is no suction dampener and the mechanical team here asked the vendor to submit the nozzle loads and it will be covered from our side (piping and support design). I am not quite happy with it but it seems that's our only option so far. I would be glad if you have any other suggestions and/or guide me to some literature that would help.