Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Retention Time For 2-Phase Separator With High Water Flow

separator retention time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 pklavins

pklavins

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

I have a question regarding the design of a 2-Phase separator for a well-site. The separator needs to be designed to handle: 240 bbl/d oil (API gravity 38), 1847 bbl/d water, and 0.338 MMSCFD gas. I've never had to size a separator with that high of a water to oil ratio. I'm not sure what the liquid retention time should be, the only design rule pertains to the API gravity of the oil and not the amount of water.

Would the following rule still apply given the high flow rate of water (From API 12j)? 

Gravity >35, 1 min retention time

Gravity 20-35, 1-2 mins retention time

Gravity 10-20, 2-4 mins retention time

Thanks for your time.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

Do you know anything about the oil and water? Some operation nearby? If you don't have any experience, you might consider some discussion with one of the vendors who supply such separators. Production separators are typically sized to separate 500 micron oil droplets from the water phase. Because further separation is easily accomplished in a hydroclone. But, if you are using chemicals to enhance production, there may be an emulsion formed. Producing this much water indicates to me that this is not new production, so significant information must be available to you. If not, you should seek consultation with an experienced operator.

This might help, too.  http://www.hindawi.c...se/2012/721814/

Good luck.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 23 August 2014 - 06:00 PM.