Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Stripping Trays Damage In Vacuum Tower

vacuum tray stripping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 shihab

shihab

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hi all,

I am new process engineer in crude\ vacuum  distillation unit ,during first start-up some of the stripping trays in the vacuum column has been damaged due to high level in the column bottom caused by instrument     malfunction . I am wondering how high column bottom level cause tray damage . what is role of stripping steam in this damage ? in short what is is the Mechanism of this damage . please help me understand this phenomena .

#2 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

what is role of stripping steam in this damage ?
Without stripping steam the trays would not be damaged as there would not be an upward force.

The stripping steam bubbling through the liquid will move part of that liquid upward through the tray holes, resulting in a much higher pressure drop over those trays than if only the steam flows through the holes.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

I would replace "bubbling" with "blasting".

Bobby

#4 Himanshu Sharma

Himanshu Sharma

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

Hi !

Addiny my two cents to the succint reply of bobby ,your trays are subjected to higher upward lifting force than what they are mechanically designed for.

The trays are already filled with liquid and steam flowing from it has to encounter the backpressure genetrated by liquid head and therafter escapes (along with entrained liquid) to a lower pressure in the column section.This genrates good amount of pressure drop in small section and ultimately your trays may lift off or damage while exceeding mechanical limits.

This section of vacuum tray is suspectible for damage in case even there is a sudden increase in stripping steam rates (without even a high liquid level in the column) or condensate escaping from steam line.

Thanks and regards

Himanshu