Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pumps In Parallel Operation

pumps in parallel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Tween

Tween

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 01:11 AM

Hi,

Need some clarifications on Performance curves of pumps in parallel operation in pipeline.

Scenario : Totatl demand is 400 m3/hr.Ordered 3 pumps with individual capacity (2+1) of 200 m3/hr.But i think we cannot meet that total demand of 400 m3/hr if both the pumps are in parallel, correct me if i am wrong.Theoritically total flow will be less than the capacity of individual when both are running.What is the solution for this?

1) Is Variable frequency drive helps in this case? If yes how?

2) To meet any specific requirement to be asked from manufacturer?

Please reply.

Tween

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:12 AM

Tween,

You should specify working point conditions (400 m3/hr and corresponding Head based on system curve) for pump vendor. They would select two identical pumps with BEP at 200 m3/hr and specified Head. These two pumps will provide 400 m3/hr at that head in parallel configuration. Obviously, if each pump would be worked individually, will provide a capacity higher than 200 m3/hr which should be considered in relevant motor sizing and NPSHR determination. As far as I know, VFD has nothing to do with flow adjustment in parallel pumps configuration.

#3 Tween

Tween

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:38 AM

Thanks Fallah,

What i understand from your reply is, if the pump work individually the BEP point is at higher flow rate than while running in parallel.

So i need to choose the BEP for 400 m3/hr with the required head in composite curve instead of choosing the indivdual  pump with BEP at 200 m3/hr.

My vendor provided curve for individual pump with BEP at 200 m3/hr.Is that ok or i need to ask for only composite curve with two pumps.

Please correct if my underatanding is worng.

#4 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

Pumps in parallel  operation:

While calculating the pump hydraulics all you have to consider a flow of 200 m3/hr for individual pump lines and 400 m3/hr for common header.

The pump shall have a flowrate of 200 m3/hr and the head will be defined by the frictional losses in the individual piping (200 m3/hr) and common header (400 m3/hr).

#5 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:07 AM   Best Answer

What i understand from your reply is, if the pump work individually the BEP point is at higher flow rate than while running in parallel.

So i need to choose the BEP for 400 m3/hr with the required head in composite curve instead of choosing the indivdual  pump with BEP at 200 m3/hr.

My vendor provided curve for individual pump with BEP at 200 m3/hr.Is that ok or i need to ask for only composite curve with two pumps.

Please correct if my underatanding is worng.

Tween,

BEP for individual pump is to be at 200 m3/hr; then individual working point in higher flow rate isn't BEP.

When BEP of each pump would be at 200 m3/h, then composite curve has a BEP at 400 m3/hr

You can ask vendor to provide both individual (with BEP at 200 m3/hr) and composite curves of pumps...

#6 Tween

Tween

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:10 AM

Thanks Fallah ji

#7 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

http://www.mcnallyin...-html/15-01.htm

Hi,

another resource to visualize what Fallah explained to you .

Breizh

#8 Tween

Tween

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:51 AM

Thank you Breizh