Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Lowering Vapor Pressure Of Methanol With Vacuum.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jorgek93

jorgek93

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:13 PM

Hi, I have a little problem trying to understand a process. I have a mix (methanol + biodiesel), I was asked to find the pressure at which methanol would evaporate keeping temperature constant. The main idea is to lower the vapor pressure by lowering the pressure inside the drum.  Doing some research I found that it's a property known, but I can't find a formula that will tell me the exact pressure I would need to achieve that...I was trying to find some heuristic results but nothing. 

Thank you 

#2 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:54 PM

I am not sure what formulas you found. This should be a fairly "typical" VLE type problem. The approach I would expect:

1) Choose a thermodynamic model. Modified Raoult's law seems like the easiest, if you have no other preference. P(MeOH)=x(MeOH)*gamma(MeOH)*P0(MeOH) where:

P(MeOH) is the partial pressure of methanol. If we assume the biodiesel is non-volatile, this will be the same as total pressure

x(MeOH) is the desired measure of liquid concentration of MeOH -- usually mole fraction

gamma(MeOH) is the activity coefficient -- usually computed from your favorite activity coefficient equation (Wilson, NRTL, Van Laar, etc.)

P0(MeOH) is the vapor pressure of pure MeOH at T.

2) "Solve" this equation for x at your specified T and P. Since gamma(MeOH) is a function of x, this will probably require a numerical algorithm (eg Excel's Solver utility).

3) Check the result to see if it seems reasonable.