Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Liquid Level In Three Phase Separators

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hello

I have learned to normally size three phase horizontal separators half full with liquid. My question is in what cases one shall not or don't have to do this? When can one size the separator with a higher liquid level (to make it smaller in size), and witch parameters have to be accounted for when deciding the normal operating liquid level?

Regards,
Øystein

#2 AlertO

AlertO

Gold Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

Basically, the liquid level setted in the separator shall give enough CSA for vapor flow due to maximum velocity limit. The normal level is the result of LL and L setting that should be suitable for real operation. you can see the attached picture for guideline.

Attached Files

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (devilchicken @ Jul 21 2009, 05:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basically, the liquid level setted in the separator shall give enough CSA for vapor flow due to maximum velocity limit. The normal level is the result of LL and L setting that should be suitable for real operation. you can see the attached picture for guideline.

Thanks for the reply

To make an easy summary: The highest alarm level should not be so high that it will make the gas velocity higher than the limit? And then one calculates down to the normal level based on the parameters in your picture?

I hope I understood this correctly.

Regards,
Øystein

#4 AlertO

AlertO

Gold Member

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

Yes, your understand is correct.
However, plz note that the guideline of level setting on the pic is for horizontal separator with weir (not the boot type) and aware the CSA calculation of the vessel (it's not equal percentage).

Lucky

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:44 AM

Thank you...