Jump to content

Latest Downloads

Recent Status Updates

  • Photo
      09 Mar

    Read my article at Linkedin: "Process Simulation Software - Don't be a Data Entry Operator"

View All Updates

Chemical and Process Engineering Resources

- - - - -

Category: Industrial Utilities
Question: What types of heat transfer fill are generally used in industrial, induced-flow cooling towers?
Keywords: cooling,tower,fill,splash,fill,industrial,water
Answer: Splash type fill is designed to interupt the progress of water as it falls through the cooling tower and to "splash" it into small droplets to maximize the efficiency of the cooling process. Splash fill yields a low resistance to air flow and minimizes the potential for clogging in the tower.
Film type fill is designed to force the water to flow in to a thin film over large, vertically-oriented surfaces in the cooling tower. Film type fill will require a larger air side pressure loss and is much more suseptible to clogging due to the small areas between the fill.
Below, you can see of samples of each type of fill discussed here:
Links: Cooling Towers: Design and Operation Considerations