Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Static Slot Seal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 wojtar

wojtar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Another topic regarding bubble cap tray hydraulics.
Could anyone explain what is that "static slot seal" or "static slot submergence" ....english is not my native language and I'm confused about that. "Static seal" is present in Chemcad tray sizing menu under slot dimensions. I need an explanation in simple words. Default Chemcad value is 0,0127 m.

Regards.

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

In just a few words: that is the height of liquid on the tray above the top edge of slots. As shown in the attachment below, excessive or insufficient liquid gradient across the bubble-cap tray can cause cap malfunctioning and reduced performance. The maximum static seal should not exceed 1.5 inch according to several authors so the default value in ChemCAD should be OK.

Also look at: http://www.scribd.co...bble-Cap-Design

Cheers

Attached Files

#3 wojtar

wojtar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

In just a few words: that is the height of liquid on the tray above the top edge of slots. As shown in the attachment below, excessive or insufficient liquid gradient across the bubble-cap tray can cause cap malfunctioning and reduced performance. The maximum static seal should not exceed 1.5 inch according to several authors so the default value in ChemCAD should be OK.

Also look at: http://www.scribd.co...bble-Cap-Design

Cheers

Thank you for your reply...I thought that liquid height above the top edge of slots depends on tray dimensions and liquid/gas capacities. I have a feeling that it's useless in chemcad. Whatever I specify it steal depends on tray dimensions that I also specified. How should I tell simulator that value??