Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Material Compatability For Dma

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Macca Chiu_*

Guest_Macca Chiu_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:58 AM

Dear All

Anyone has information or knows where to find material compatability data
to hold aqueous Dimethylamine (around 30%w/w) and anhydrous Dimethylamine for temperature
of around 150-300oF?

I have look at a book called "Corrosion Resistance Tables" by Schweitzer.
It stated that Hastelloys, SS304 and SS316 are not suitable to hold either
aqueous or anhydrous DMA at any temperature.

I'm looking for a second source to confirm it but seems most sources don't have data for dimethylamine.

thanks

cch

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:59 AM

The best way to be certain that you are employing the optimum material of construction with DMA is to follow your company's published recommendations - usually found in your company's piping code or standards. This is, of course, assuming that your company has a code.

In the event your company has no standards for their materials of construction, then go immediately to the other "experts": the manufacturers of DMA. These would be Huntsman, Dow, and others around my neck of the woods (the Texas Gulf Coast). The manufacturers know exactly what you can use safely and what is not recommended as material of construction - for the pure compound as well as for solutions. They will be elated to share this information with you in order to cultivate you as a customer of their product. Normally, MSDS information does not include good and specific M.O.C. information.

If you are going to use the M.O.C. recommendation for specifying actual equipment, then do not depend or rely on information obtained through an internet forum. Employ the manufacturer's recommendation or that of a paid, recognized, expert engineering consultant.

If you are a student using this information on your homework problem or an engineering design problem, then you can try using "hear say" info. But for serious, industrial applications you should only rely on recognized experts.

Art Montemayor

#3 Guest_Macca Chiu_*

Guest_Macca Chiu_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the information.
I have sent emails to the suppliers to ask about it.

regards

macca