Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Gross Calorific Value

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Govind

Govind

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:02 AM

I want to know whether GCV of the bituminous coal includes the calorific value of volatile material

#2 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

I want to know whether GCV of the bituminous coal includes the calorific value of volatile material

I strongly believe it does. Evidence is given by following.
1. I have seen local lignite measured for calorific value as is. Even measurement on dry basis is difficult, for volatile matter can escape.
2. Calorific value (or heating value) of coal concerns carbon plus any other substances being with it (except probably water; as said, it is difficult to dry coal without loss of volatile matter).
This is also indicated in http://en.wikipedia....Bituminous_coal.
3. It is useful to consider the calorific (or heating) value of the product as it will be burnt. Concerning bituminous coal, it should be clear that the product has not been treated. Coking coke or (metallurgical) coke result from thermal treatment of bituminous coal; of course these have practically lost volatile matter and have different calorific value.
Note: For explanations on dry basis & similar, goggle "coal conversion facts", then open the file with that name coming from world coal org.

Edited by kkala, 08 July 2011 - 03:04 AM.

#3 Govind

Govind

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:57 AM

I strongly believe it does. Evidence is given by following.
1. I have seen local lignite measured for calorific value as is. Even measurement on dry basis is difficult, for volatile matter can escape.
2. Calorific value (or heating value) of coal concerns carbon plus any other substances being with it (except probably water; as said, it is difficult to dry coal without loss of volatile matter).
This is also indicated in http://en.wikipedia....Bituminous_coal.
3. It is useful to consider the calorific (or heating) value of the product as it will be burnt. Concerning bituminous coal, it should be clear that the product has not been treated. Coking coke or (metallurgical) coke result from thermal treatment of bituminous coal; of course these have practically lost volatile matter and have different calorific value.
Note: For explanations on dry basis & similar, goggle "coal conversion facts", then open the file with that name coming from world coal org.

Thank you very much!

We are in a business of producing Coal Gas, I would like to know the maximum air to be used in burning Bituminous coal, to produce Carbon Monoxide, as the chief constituent of Producer Gas is Carbon Monoxide.

#4 kkala

kkala

Gold Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:18 AM

..We are in a business of producing Coal Gas, I would like to know the maximum air to be used in burning Bituminous coal, to produce Carbon Monoxide, as the chief constituent of Producer Gas is Carbon Monoxide.

So you need the heating value (or calorific value) of bituminous coal burned to CO. This point deserves care; to my knowledge heating value is understood as the heat released in complete combustion, that is burnt to CO2. Better to search for heats of combustion for each component of bituminous coal (verify it by chemical equation); for example, see Perry 7th ed, Table 2-221, Heats of combustion (p. 2-195).
Past thread http://www.cheresour...h__1#entry47710 may be useful. If H2O in resulting flue gases is not condensed, you may use Net Calorific Value (LHV) instead of GCV, as we do in boilers.