Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Koh Dissolution

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Linas

Linas

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

I have short question regarding simulating a dissolution reaction in Aspen plus.

KOH(s)--> KOH(aq) DH=-57.6 kJ/mol

When I define KOH(aq) as a component, I supply mol wt, DHf, DGf, density, and melting point. When I run it, it asks for vapor pressure data. I used all kinds of reactor models on ASPEN but get the same error message.

Aspen has KOH, KOH:A, KOH:B, and KOH*W (KOH with one molecule of water of crystalization). I am not sure how to look up what KOH:A and KOH: B are.

My goal is to recover the heat from this reaction. I have manually calculated this using DH but would like to add it to my ASPEN flow sheet.

Edited by Linas, 12 August 2011 - 10:34 PM.

#2 milenkom

milenkom

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:46 AM

I have short question regarding simulating a dissolution reaction in Aspen plus.

KOH(s) + H2O(g) --> KOH(aq) DH=-57.6 kJ/mol

I want to know I can specify KOH(aq) as a component. When I specify KOH(aq), I supply mol wt, DHf, DGf, density, and melting point. When I run it, it asks for vapor pressure data. I used all kinds of reactor models on ASPEN but get the same error message.

Aspen has KOH, KOH:A, KOH:B, and KOH*W (KOH with one molecule of water of crystalization). I am not sure how to look up what KOH:A and KOH: B are.

My goal is to recover the heat from this reaction. I have manually calculated this using DH but would like to add it to my ASPEN flow sheet.

You'll have to use electrolyte chemistry for this one. In components section there you can specify electrolyte chemistry, ions, reactions and also check the box calcutate dissolution heat. It's possible I think but it's not something I'm very familiar with. I used to simulate HCL scrubbing with dissociation of gas HCL into water, but I always had errors when I specified reaction for absorber block.

#3 Linas

Linas

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for your reply. I am intersted in dissolution of KOH and not its dissociation because I would like to recover the heat of dissolution. I will look into using electrolyte chemistry.

KOH(s) + H2O(g) --> KOH(aq) DH=-57.6 kJ/mol

I want to know I can specify KOH(aq) as a component. When I specify KOH(aq), I supply mol wt, DHf, DGf, density, and melting point. When I run it, it asks for vapor pressure data. I used all kinds of reactor models on ASPEN but get the same error message.

You'll have to use electrolyte chemistry for this one. In components section there you can specify electrolyte chemistry, ions, reactions and also check the box calcutate dissolution heat. It's possible I think but it's not something I'm very familiar with. I used to simulate HCL scrubbing with dissociation of gas HCL into water, but I always had errors when I specified reaction for absorber block.