Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Failure To Meet Gas Specification In A Mdea Sweete

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Pronab

Pronab

Gold Member

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

One of our three gas sweetening plants fail to meet sweet gas H2S specification in mid-noon , when ambient temperature become high. Also sometimes( in mid-night) gives spikes of H2S while I found most of the parameters are same( gas fowrate, acid gas inlet concentration, temperature, etc.). Only amine ( MDEA is used for selective sweetening of the acid gas components) concentration and H2S in lean amine are mesaured once in a day. All others parameters are on-line availabe. I try to generalised the problems and to find a quick solution to meet H2S concentration in sweet gas. I have gone through some technical papers, but still I don't find my solution . For these I need reference and practical experience of troubleshooting . Anybody face the same problems and can help me are welcome .

Regards.
Pronab.

#2 php78

php78

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:25 AM

Pronab
If you give me some more details, I will try to find some solution.

But let me clear one point first. I am PhD student (just finished) and working on similar problems as stated you. I do not have actual plant experience. But using simulations I can suggest you. Last month we solved a similar problem for Pakistan refinery (at least theoretically where we recommended some changes in operating conditions and they accepted some).

But to solve problem effectively, plant operating conditions and column data is essential. If you have problems due to data protections at least feed conditions and design specifications are required. Also please state what is exactly happening.

Prashant

QUOTE (pronab @ Aug 4 2005, 09:15 AM)
One of our three gas sweetening plants fail to meet sweet gas H2S specification in mid-noon , when ambient temperature become high. Also sometimes( in mid-night) gives spikes of H2S while I found most of  the parameters are same( gas fowrate, acid gas inlet concentration, temperature, etc.). Only amine ( MDEA is used  for selective sweetening of the acid gas components) concentration and H2S in lean amine are  mesaured once in a day. All others parameters are on-line availabe.  I try to generalised the problems and to find a quick solution to meet H2S concentration in sweet gas. I have gone through some technical papers, but still I don't find my solution . For these I need reference and practical experience of troubleshooting . Anybody  face the same problems and can help me are welcome .

Regards.
Pronab.

#3 Guest_Guest_pronab_*_*

Guest_Guest_pronab_*_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:54 AM

Prashant

Here are some data for the problem I face in an amine plant using MDEA to selective removal of acid gas components.

Design Actual

Sour gas to Abs. Knm3/hr 552 508
Gas inlet Temp deg. C 57 56
Inlet Press. Barg. 66 65.5
Abs inlet H2S / CO2 mol% 4.0 / 5.7 4.07 / 5.75
Abs. out H2S ppm 30 [B] 96Abs. out [/B]CO2 mol% * 3.07
Amine flow to Abs m3/hr 730 710
amine temp. deg. C 57 61.6
Reboiler steam flow MT/hr ** 117 118
Regenarator top temp. 107 108.9
Reflux to Regn. m3/hr 34
amine concentration % 45 42%
Rich amine loading mol/mol 0.63 -
H2S in lean amine ppm 300~500 150
regenarator top press. barg. 1.25 1.38
Reflux temp. deg.C 57 69
Abs diff. pressure mbar 200 222.0

If you need more operating data I can supply later. For tower internals data I can not give As I don't have. But there are multifeed in Abs. and now it is feeding to bottom tray no # 19. There are 27 valves tray, with top 3 trays are for washing of sweet gas by steam condensate. outlet CO2 is mesaured as sales gas LHV of 9000Btu / scf min.
** steam Press: 3.5 barg and Temp: 150 degC.