Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reactor Sizing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Artful_*

Guest_Artful_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been trying my hand at simulating a process using HYSYS, more notably the UOP Butamer process (thanks Milton!) and have had moderate success.

I have a problem with the reactor sizing though. The process requires a PFR, and I can calculate the volume required easily. However what stumps me is the length and diameter specifications. Every reference I've checked seems to only focus on obtaining the volume of the reactor, but logically, the individual dimensions have to matter!

My question is, how does one determine a suitable length to diameter ratio for PFRs in general?

Thanks!
Art

#2 sgkim

sgkim

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 289 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 07:18 PM

Based on the total volume of PFR reactor, the surface area required for heat transfer, pressure drop through the tube(s) or packed bed(s) and maximum allowable velocity shall be checked simultaneously.

If large surface area is required longer tubes may be required, which will increase the pressure drop. Sometimes parallel tubes may be required. Higher tube velocites sometimes give higher pressure drops and erosion problem especially on elbows. Large-diameter catalyst requires larger tubes having more than say 40 particle diameters for good fluid distribution. If the fluid volume increase or decrease severely during reaction, the diameter shall be increased or decreased step-wise.

sgkim/050924

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

Artful:

This may sound trivial, but have you checked out:

http://www.owlnet.ri.../hysys/pfex.htm

where a HySim example is worked out, step-by-step, and the resultant diameter and length of the plug flow reactor is calculated by HySim? Granted, this simulation is for a steam reformer, but the steps should be similar or analogous to what you are doing.

I did a Google search and got a hit within 20 seconds. I would have expected something like this from Rice University, which is about 20 miles away.

I hope this helps.

Art Montemayor