Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Desalination Of Seawater Using Ro Membranes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 keby9vam

keby9vam

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi,

I'm currently working as an intern in an oil and gas R&D company in Malaysia. I was given the task to research on desalination of seawater, in which the seawater will be injected into the oil reservoir for tertiary enhanced oil recovery. The main purpose of this desalination is to reduce/remove Magnesium, calcium, iron, and sulphates from the feed seawater to the required amount using the reverse osmosis (RO) method. Also, another aspect of concern is whether RO can be controlled and how.

At the moment, I'm trying to research on the working principles of a RO membrane filter in order to understand how the system works. Also, I am trying to find a membrane that facilliates Magnesium, calcium, iron, and sulphates removal. However, I'm not sure as to where I should proceed next. Should I proceed with the design aspects of the membrane? Is there any sort of tips you could provide? Your help is deeply appreciated.

Regards

Vik

#2 ankur2061

ankur2061

Gold Member

• Forum Moderator
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:23 AM

Vik,

Suggest you read the following:

Chapter 7, Reverse Osmosis; "Fundamentals of Salt Water Desalination" by Dessouky and Ettouney

Regards,
Ankur.

#3 keby9vam

keby9vam

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi Mr. Ankur,

Thanks for the suggestion. It was very helpful indeed. Thank you for your time.

Regards

Vik