Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Ion Exchangers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 keby9vam

keby9vam

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

Hi all,

I have question regarding ion exchange resins used in water softening processes;

Where can I find a typical feed volume flow rate for these ion exchange resins? And is it widely used in the industries? I've tried looking for information on this, but only managed to get details on how it works and what it is used for, nothing in regards to the feed volumes.

The purpose of this is for me to see if it feasible to apply for other applications that possibly have 10000 barrels of feed water per day. Thank you in an advance for your help.

Please do let me know if my question is not clear.

Regards

keby9vam

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,357 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Let you try google to support your query and try to google resin suppliers like Dow . You can considerr having units operating in // supplying a storage tank .

Hope this helps .
Breizh

Edited by breizh, 24 June 2012 - 08:19 PM.

#3 keby9vam

keby9vam

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

Hi again,

I'd like to add a little bit to the previous question I posted. Is it possible that ion exchangers can increase the pH of water (alkaline)?

Thank you again for the previous advice.

keby9vam

#4 ph_balance5

ph_balance5

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

usual feed water flowrate for softener is 1-5 gpm/cu. ft or resin. so if you know the flowrate of water you will have the approximate volume of resin that you need. however, to accurately size you softener, you need to knwo the hardness of water to be treated. This is to know how much regenerant you need once the softener is exhausted after you filtration run.

For more information on ion exchange resins and other filtration technology that you may be interested in, please visit my blogs:

http://iexbasic.blogspot.com/
and
http://aquarianph.blogspot.com/

If you have other questions, you may post it and I will try to answer them. I am a process engineer for a water treatment engineering company. I design water treatment system for industrial and commercial applications.

#5 keby9vam

keby9vam

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

Hi there pH_balance5,

Thank you for your advice.

I would also like to know how these ion exchange resins are regenerated. Would HCl and NaOH be used? Would appreciate if you could elaborate on this.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

keby9vam