Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Butane In Packed Column

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_fatocar_*

Guest_fatocar_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:29 AM

biggrin.gif I have to desing an absorber for the separation of butane of a mixture of alkanes ( butane, isopentane, normal pentane , hexane ).
Wich solvent is appropiate for it? Only is important eliminated of the mixture.
The butane concentrattion is 0-6 % then the distillation is expensive for the separation because is 5 kg/cm2 pressure operation.

#2 hamadi

hamadi

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hi

I think in your process you can use Molecular sieves to capture butane. This is not an distillation column type, it is an adsorption process that can be easy to operate than packed column or trayed ones.

#3 NHSon

NHSon

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:25 AM

I think, you should use distillation process to separate butane. I have design a simillar distillation system 6 years ago.

#4 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

I think you have depropanized light naphtha as column feed, which is a common feed mixture in many gas plant towers around the world. Separating butanes should involve standard debutanizer tower, with operating pressures above 5barG to recover all butanes as liquid product.

It depends, of course, what is the type of your company, but generally I think there is no need for molecular sieve application. Debutanizer would simply make the job done.

#5 you

you

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Zauberberg @ Nov 24 2006, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Debutanizer would simply make the job done.

You are RIGHT Zuberberg, our friend needs only deC4 (distillation column , operation parameters are: ( 5.Barg , 54C in top and 113 C in bottom).

Youcef