Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

H2So4 For Water Treatmentpackage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 roshimessi

roshimessi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Dears

i see in vendor PID they use h2so4 mixed with water in inlet of  gas striping column, in this column sweet gas coming from below of the tower and water with h2so4 coming from top of the tower ,it use for reducing the percent of h2s from water,

the told us we use it for adjust the ph

but i have 2 question 

1-does it have any affect to make the scale in the line due to react with any water impurity such as "ca ,mg and...

2- is it normal  practice or not?

#2 S.AHMAD

S.AHMAD

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Hi

H2S in sour water ionizes into H+ and HS- as per following equation:

H2S  =   H+  +  HS-

The above equation is in equilibrium. Adding H2SO4 increases the H+ concentration therefore the reaction shifts to the left and thus the sour water liberates H2S and improve the removal of H2S from the sour water system.

The problem with H2SO4 injection is if the water hardness is high. This leads to formation of scale and results in fouling of heat exchangers even the tray/packing inside the stripper.

Use of H2SO4 is quite common in the industry for improving the H2S removal in sour water stripping. My suggestion is to inject H2SO4 only when you have problem in removing the H2S. Otherwise, do not inject if the H2S level in the stripped sour water is within the environmental limit. You save cost.

Edited by S.AHMAD, 12 January 2014 - 09:43 PM.