Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Difference Between Wet And Dry Flare

flare types

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 NewUser101

NewUser101

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

I am new process engineers and really confused about the terminology of Wet and Dry flare.

What exactly is the fundamental difference between these two and what is the application?

I looked online to find some quick articles but some how i could not find well written article or explanation.

I will also appreciate If you can point me to a good article or a starting point.

Thank you for your help!

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hi,

Difference in brief:

A wet flare header is usually used to handle flare gases that contain moisture but aren't cold gases...

A dry flare header is usually designed to handle dry flare gases which also are cold (below around -46C)...

#3 shan

shan

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 692 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

To me, a wet flare is a flare with steam/water injection while dry flare without steam/water injection.

#4 Alexsandres

Alexsandres

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:23 PM   Best Answer

Fluids containing wet hydrocarbons, such as disposal from offshore receiving facility, acid gas removal, dehydration/mercury removal, debutanizer and condensate stabilizer is disposed to wet flare.

While dry flare system will handle liquid and vapour discharges from sources that contain no water or CO2 to avoid freezing in the flare system. Usually this stream comes from refrigeration unit, fractionation unit, gas liquefaction.

This link can be useful

http://www.hydrocarb...se-history.html

A wet flare header is used to handle flare gases that contain moisture but are not “cold” gases.

• An intermediate flare header, which could contain some moisture and normally handles some cold vapors (up to –45°C).

• A dry flare header designed to handle dry flare gases. These will also be cold, with normal temperatures below –45°C.

#5 NewUser101

NewUser101

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

Thank you all for your reply.