Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

How To Calculate The Lng Psv Relief Temperature?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 William.K

William.K

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

Hi, I am a junior process engineer of LNG power plant or off shore.

And nowadays I am calculating some PSVs on the liquid line.

But I don't know the relief temperature values exactly.

I already saw API and ASME, but there is nothing to satisfy my curiosity.

I am going to show you my questions as below;

Fluid: LNG

Set Pressure: 10 barg

Set Temperature: -163'C

Relieving Pressure: 11 barg (10% of Set Pressure, normal case)

and Relieving Temperature: ???

I saw a lot of comment of this problem and they say T1=Tn*(P1/Pn) but I don't understand this formula and another opinion is

relieving temperature will be determined by the relieving pressure cause of the saturated temperature of that pressure.

So in case of above condition, when LNG relief to the air at 11 barg, at that time the saturate temperature will be abt.-80'C.

(Commonly 1atm LNG will be evaporate at -161.8'C, so at 11 barg, evaporation temperature will be -80'C)

then the relieving temperature is -80'C?

I have some calculation sheets of PSV and the fluid is air. At that time the relieving temperature is 0'C. Why?

I am going to black hole when I try to figure it out. Please Help ME.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:39 PM

William:

LNG is a LIQUID fluid (Liquefied Natural Gas)

A “PSV” is a Pressure Safety Valve.  Therefore, the set point is based on PRESSURE – not temperature as you request!  The only reason to know the relieving temperature is to mechanically design the valve --- not to set its capacity.

It seems you need to do some work on your thermodynamics and phase equilibria.  If you are relieving LNG at its saturated state, all you need to do is refer to its saturated conditions at the relieving pressure and look up the resulting evaporation temperature when you adiabatically expand the liquid through the PSV orifice from whatever set pressure you have down to atmospheric pressure.  The process isn’t truly 100% free adiabatic, isentropic expansion, but close enough.

You get the expansion answer with a simulator or with a thermodynamic data base or Natural Gas Mollier Diagram.

You should be clear and concise in your basic data.  You are expanding a liquid – not a gas; and it is saturated at storage conditions.  (why you would relieve a liquid is beyond me.  Normally, the GASEOUS phase is relieved, not the liquid.)

#3 William.K

William.K

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

Thank you Art Montemayor.

And I had a mistake. the liquid relieves to the tank again not in the air and I thought that's right in case of liquid, I don't need to relieving temperature.

relieving temperature is usually important to calculate the orifice area due to the fluid volume, but liquid won't be change the volume a lot, right?

And also while I post this questionnaire, I understand the T1=Tn*(P1/Pn). the thing is the unit conversion. Thank you again.

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:11 AM

And also while I post this questionnaire, I understand the T1=Tn*(P1/Pn). the thing is the unit conversion. Thank you again.

William,

It's not a unit conversion...it's an estimation method for relieving temperature in gas expansion (due to fire) case...

As Art well mentioned you need to do some work on your thermodynamics and phase equilibria...

#5 William.K

William.K

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 02:24 AM

Thank you fallah,

and unit conversion which I said is....

I didn't calculate the right relieving temperature because I misunderstood about the unit of temperature and pressure. That's what I were saying.

Anyway thank you for your advice.

#6 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

and unit conversion which I said is....

I didn't calculate the right relieving temperature because I misunderstood about the unit of temperature and pressure. That's what I were saying.

William,

Ok, thanks for your clarification, anyway that formula isn't applicable for liquid relief at all...