Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure Loss Of Flow Meter And Control Valve

flow meter and control valve

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Takechi

Takechi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

Dear all

Can anyone share rule of thumb for permanent pressure loss at Flow meter such as orifice, turbine, vortex, coriolis, etc.? Is it depend on fluid type(liquid, vapor)

Can anyone share rule of thumb for minimum pressure drop of Control valve(Globe valve)? Is it depend on fluid type(liquid, vapor)

Because I am during design the system with allowable pressure drop is less than 0.5 kg/cm2g.

Best regards,

Salapao

#2 VeryProfessionalEngineer

VeryProfessionalEngineer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Without knowing more about what you are measuring and controlling and what range of flow rates you might expect there's not much I can tell you.

Is 0.5 kg/cm2g the pressure drop for the total system (valve, flowmeter, and whatever other equipment you have)? I'm not sure how much rules of thumb will help you. For control valves, you generally want some percentage of your dynamic pressure drop (not counting set pressure drops like static head) in the system in order for the valve to handle changes in flow and/or fouling. That percentage might be 25-50% depending on the service and how much fouling or flow variation you anticipate. Of course, that all depends on the service too, because I am used to systems with much higher pressure drop. I wouldn't want to comment on flow measurement pressure drop as you may have some niche application for which it would not be applicable. 

#3 Takechi

Takechi

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

Thank you VeryProfessionalEngineer

Salapao