Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Counter Current Flow In Heat Exchanger

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Mohamed Selim

Mohamed Selim

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:59 AM

According to counter current temperature gradient diagram of Heat Exchanger, we will find that the inlet temperature of the cold stream always smaller than outlet temperature of the hot stream in the right side of the diagram. 

as you know counter current is preferred because cold stream outlet temperature will be higher than hot stream outlet temperature so maximum heat is extracted from hot stream .

my inquiry is about if i raised the inlet temperature of cold stream to be higher than  outlet temperature of hot stream exactly to locate the temperature in between the range was gained before raining inlet cold stream temperature??

for example ... if we have cold stream (water) that is temperature will increase from 20 to 100 C, so i can reduce temperature of hot stream (crude oil)  to 90 C ..... if i use water with 92 C upraising it to 100 C, why not intersection between two lines in diagram happens, and I get the same result as before 90 C (crude oil), that doesn't happen?

Please explain!

#2 VeryProfessionalEngineer

VeryProfessionalEngineer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

Heat exchangers facilitate heat transfer from high temperature to low temperature. Driving heat from a lower temperature stream to a higher temperature stream requires work, such as the work required to run the compressor of a refrigeration cycle. Since a heat exchanger is only facilitating heat transfer and does not work itself, it cannot transfer heat from a fluid that is already 92 or below to a stream that is 92C (your cold inlet stream temperature from your hypothetical).

Does that make sense?

#3 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:24 AM

I don't believe that example is practicable. Cooling the crude to 90 C when the entering water temperate is 92 C creates a temperature approach of only 2 C. This would be difficult to obtain.

table.

Edited by srfish, 04 September 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#4 VeryProfessionalEngineer

VeryProfessionalEngineer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

I don't believe that example is practicable. Cooling the crude to 90 C when the entering water temperate is 92 C creates a temperature approach of only 2 C. This would be difficult to obtain.

table.

The approach is actually -2C, making it impossible.

#5 VeryProfessionalEngineer

VeryProfessionalEngineer

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:49 AM

If I understand the question correctly, that is, the approach is -2C and it's not just infeasible but not attainable in any way.

#6 srfish

srfish

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

You are right. I left off the negative sign on the temperature approach.

#7 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:02 AM

According to counter current temperature gradient diagram of Heat Exchanger, we will find that the inlet temperature of the cold stream always smaller than outlet temperature of the hot stream in the right side of the diagram. 

as you know counter current is preferred because cold stream outlet temperature will be higher than hot stream outlet temperature so maximum heat is extracted from hot stream .

my inquiry is about if i raised the inlet temperature of cold stream to be higher than  outlet temperature of hot stream exactly to locate the temperature in between the range was gained before raining inlet cold stream temperature??

for example ... if we have cold stream (water) that is temperature will increase from 20 to 100 C, so i can reduce temperature of hot stream (crude oil)  to 90 C ..... if i use water with 92 C upraising it to 100 C, why not intersection between two lines in diagram happens, and I get the same result as before 90 C (crude oil), that doesn't happen?

Please explain!

What is crude oil inlet temperature?

Reply to this topic