Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Fluidized Bed Granulator For Urea

fluidized bed granulation granulator urea fluidised fluidised bed granulation fluidized bed granulation

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 rizmeah

rizmeah

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

I am required to design a granulator for the synthesis of urea. I am implementing a fluidized bed granulator in my design. Is there anything that will aid me in calculating the:

- Dimensions

- Mass and Energy Balances 

- Costings 

- Safety Standards

- Materials of construction 

- Enthalpies

To conclude, what are the vital pieces of information that should be included in my specification sheet

Many thanks in advance,

Rizwan Meah

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hi ,

Probably good to contact vendor like GEA Niro to get advice or at least form with the minimum requirement to design the equipment .

I believe you can get input from Perrry's handbook .

Good luck

Breizh

#3 Saml

Saml

Gold Member

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:55 PM

Please check the following so you get an idea of what you are getting into:

1) Ureaknowhow.com has published a document with the title: "2017 12 Cotabarren Production of Granular Urea as Nitrogenous Fertilizer"

2) Also look for the publication: "Analysis of the product granulometry, temperature and mass flow of an industrial
multichamber fluidized bed urea granulator" Published in "Powder Technology" ini 2011

3) Handbook of Powder Technology. Volume 11:

https://books.google...ulation&f=false

Regarding your questions:

- Dimensions: Depend on your scale

- Mass and Energy Balances: This is a complicated issue. Because you need Mass, Energy AND number of particles balances.

- Costings : No idea

- Safety Standards: Same as any chemical plant. Main risk is molten urea and formadehyde. Some jurisdictions may impose limits on plume visibility.

- Materials of construction: Mostly stainless steel. I believe that 304 is enough for everything in contact with powder. For molten urea is 316 Urea Grade. Compressed air and steam is CS.

- Enthalpies: See the refered documents