Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Purge For Burn Pit Flare

flare purge

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Sue N

Sue N

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:23 PM

One of our older plants has a burn pit ground flare, and we are trying to validate the purge rate for it. 

How does one calculate a purge rate for a flare with this configuration?  API521 6th Edition has guidelines for purging the stack, but a burn pit doesn't have a stack - it is just an open pit.  The equations in  API521 (46 & 47) reference a variable "y" called "column depth at which the O2 concentration is predicted".   In the case of a burn pit, would "y" be the depth of the pit, the height of the pilot tip, or some other value?   

Eqns 46 & 47 also reference a variable "D", the flare stack diameter.  In the case of the burn pit, would this be the flare header diameter?  

Are there different methods in another reference or standard that I should use instead?  

Thank you in advance for your help.  

Are there different equations in another reference or standard that I should use instead?  If the API calculations are appropriate, what would I base the value of "y" on - the depth of the pit, the height of the pilot tip, or something else?  

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:13 AM

One of our older plants has a burn pit ground flare, and we are trying to validate the purge rate for it. 

How does one calculate a purge rate for a flare with this configuration?  API521 6th Edition has guidelines for purging the stack, but a burn pit doesn't have a stack - it is just an open pit.  The equations in  API521 (46 & 47) reference a variable "y" called "column depth at which the O2 concentration is predicted".   In the case of a burn pit, would "y" be the depth of the pit, the height of the pilot tip, or some other value?   

Eqns 46 & 47 also reference a variable "D", the flare stack diameter.  In the case of the burn pit, would this be the flare header diameter?  

Are there different methods in another reference or standard that I should use instead?  

Thank you in advance for your help.  

Are there different equations in another reference or standard that I should use instead?  If the API calculations are appropriate, what would I base the value of "y" on - the depth of the pit, the height of the pilot tip, or something else?  

Sue N,

Do you think a liquid burning system has to be purged during operation like a gas burning flare?

#3 Sue N

Sue N

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

The flare is for a gas plant, so it isn't really a liquid burning flare.  I think a way to describe it is like a horizontal flare stack that exits into a pit.  

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

The flare is for a gas plant, so it isn't really a liquid burning flare.  I think a way to describe it is like a horizontal flare stack that exits into a pit.  

Might you mean a ground flare?

#5 Sue N

Sue N

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:01 AM

I don't know the exact manufacturer, but this Zeeco link has something that looks like the burn pit.  

https://www.zeeco.co...nd-burn-pit.php

#6 Sue N

Sue N

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

I apologize for my lack of knowledge and my trouble describing the system.  Most of the plants I work with have elevated flares. 

#7 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:35 AM

I would contact Zeeco for help.

Bobby