Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Removing H2S & Cos From Waste Gas

h2s cos

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Energen

Energen

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:28 AM

Hello,

My company is evaluating various gas streams with the intent to extract CO2. However the gas stream under consideration has a high content of H2S (230) and COS (89) VSC, ppm, v/v.

To explore new / alternative technologies, what technology is available in the market to effectively remove both unwanted components?

Thank you in advance for any guidance.

Regards

#2 georgiatech90

georgiatech90

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

Puraspec 2070 adsorbent beds in lead lag configuration should do the trick.

Edit: Just make sure you don't have much oxygen in the gas or you'll oxidize the adsorbent.

Edited by georgiatech90, 11 January 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#3 Energen

Energen

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:47 AM

Thank you for your response, we will consider your recommendation.

One of our consultants recommend burning the gas in a boiler with a low mixture of LPG to remove the Sulfides.

#4 P Thakur

P Thakur

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

Please share gas composition, pressure and temperature.

#5 Na3BrO

Na3BrO

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:37 PM

If you had high levels of H2S and COS, I'd consider a thermal oxidation of both (creating CO2, H2O, and SO2), followed by a scrubber (caustic-based for high removal rates), operated at 6-9 pH - above 9 pH, you'll tend to scrub CO2 as well). The low ppm amounts mean that running costs (combustion fuel and scrubber caustic) will be minimal. Look up DynaWave MECS for the capability to scrub/quench hot gases in one step.

I believe the above is what one of your consultants is leaning towards. This has a few cons, however.

• You'd be putting O2, N2 (if using air for combustion), and H2O into your gas stream due to combustion.
  • The low ppm amounts, however, may mean that the initial capital cost may be too high to be attractive.
  • Caustic scrubbing of SO2 will lead to Na2SO3, which will need to be oxidized in another step to Na2SO4 to prevent re-release of SO2 to atmosphere.

FYI, GATech90's suggestions of adsorption beds also require hydrolysis of the COS into H2S before adsorption per the manufacturers site. I'm unfamiliar with this technology, though.