Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

H2S Analyzer & Gas Chromatography

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SyedAhmed

SyedAhmed

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

Dear All

I saw some design of pipeline with metering stations that Gas Chromatographer (GC) and H2S analyzer both are installed in the pipeline. As per my understanding GC also provide the peaks of H2S if present in the Gas. So Why do we need both like GC & H2S analyzer.

Please help me in the cost effective design.

Regards

#2 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

I have done some lab scale H2S analysis, and have learned that there are many difficulties around analyzing for H2S with a standard GC. You don't give any details of the system -- Is the H2S analyzer completely separate, or is it a special detector added to the chromatography system -- but my generic answer is that it was deemed necessary to use a separate H2S analyzer in order to get a good analysis of the H2S in the pipeline.

I would suggest that you consult with a good analytical chemist who is familiar with the different methods for analyzing your gas composition, including H2S. Such a chemist should be able to explain in more detail why someone may choose not to rely solely on chromatography for the H2S analysis. In my limited understanding, it is simply that chromatography (at least -- traditional GC-FID, GC-TCD type chromatographs) is often not considered to be sufficiently reliable for H2S analysis.