Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Shut-Off Pressure Of On /off Valve

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Abdullah_28

Abdullah_28

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 03:27 AM

Dear 

Iam working on small project where I need to change ON/OFF valves on the suction line of pumps ( to have same rating of discharge line) in different units of refinery .

Question:

As per I know the Shut of pressure (closure delta P -used for actuator sizing)  is specified as following :

Shut of pressure=Max Upstream pressure- Downstream Pressure  

In case the suction line of pump, I used the following:

Shut of pressure=Max Suc. pressure (Set press.) - Downstream Pressure  (0 brag)

However ,one friend told me if there is a leak in check valve, there will be  back pressure on the downstream of suction block valve. so the worst case is to specify two Shut of pressures  as following:

Forward Shut of pressure:

Reverse Shut of pressure:

Shut of pressure=Normal Suc. pressure  - Discharge pressure Pressure  

Is this make sense?  

​I need your Valuable input on this subject.

Thanks a lot  

Edited by Abdullah_28, 26 September 2018 - 03:33 AM.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 07:20 AM

Dear 

Iam working on small project where I need to change ON/OFF valves on the suction line of pumps ( to have same rating of discharge line) in different units of refinery .

Question:

As per I know the Shut of pressure (closure delta P -used for actuator sizing)  is specified as following :

Shut of pressure=Max Upstream pressure- Downstream Pressure  

In case the suction line of pump, I used the following:

However ,one friend told me if there is a leak in check valve, there will be  back pressure on the downstream of suction block valve. so the worst case is to specify two Shut of pressures  as following:

Forward Shut of pressure:

Reverse Shut of pressure:

Shut of pressure=Normal Suc. pressure  - Discharge pressure Pressure  

Is this make sense?  

​I need your Valuable input on this subject.

to 

Abdullah,

If the pump is conducting the fluid to a pressurized system and the relevant check valve is susceptible to leak, the reverse flow can be occurred in pump trip case and the suction on/off valve (if existed) can be subject to discharge pressure at downstream while there is normal suction pressure at upstream. 

#3 Abdullah_28

Abdullah_28

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:00 AM

Dear Fallah, 

Does this mean  we have to consider both cases in data sheet ? (  Forward and Reverse)

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:42 AM

Does this mean  we have to consider both cases in data sheet ? (  Forward and Reverse)

Abdullah,

You haven't to do so; you can specify the worst case and reflect it to the valve data sheet...

If you have a problem to specify the worst case you can reflect both cases in data sheet...