Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pi System Process Engineering Deliverables

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Said Salim

Said Salim

Gold Member

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Dear All,

Can anyone advise on what a process engineer is looking for after implementing PI system in his process plant?

Your advices may help in writing technical scope of work of the project and listing project deliverables

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar of such type of systems

Said Al Athobi

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:51 PM

If your company is committing to this system my advice is to enlist a professional familiar with its application. Undoubtedly someone sold your management on the merits of the system. If you are in any way responsible for the success of this project, you should be doing a lot of research. Good luck.

Bobby

#3 PhilippM

PhilippM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:44 PM

By "PI System", do you mean the software system by OSIsoft?

The company I worked at did several projects for a big client that used this software, so luckily I was also able to use it.

What we were able to do (and what most process engineers who worked for that client did) was to access all (current and historic) measurements from their plants that were available in the DCS and export these measurements to MS Excel e.g., so they were available for further analysis. Without having to go to the control room, we could do all of that right from our office using a VPN connection. As most PFDs lacked a lot of information, we were able to get a lot of process data that were then used for the design of new pieces of equipment or pipelines that were retrofitted.

Hope that helps

Philipp

#4 Said Salim

Said Salim

Gold Member

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

Dear Philipp,
That's what I mean exactly Process Information System whoever is the provider(OSIsoft, Aspen IP21, Yokogawa, Honywell etc).