Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Grafoil Gasket Reinforced With Ss316

grafoil gasket grafoil compatibility

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 stelu85

stelu85

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 11:54 AM

I'm proposing the replacement of spiral wound with grafoil reinforced 316L on the following service:

T = 220°C

P = 2 barg

jacketed pipe (diatermic oil 220°C)

chemicals: catechol, hydroquinone, phenol

do you have any reference for chemical compatibility to support my proposal?

thanks

Stelu

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:18 AM

Hi ,

If my memory is good , we were using spiral wound gaskets in our facility in China for the materials you mentioned (phenol and diphenols).

Can you explain why you want to make the change ?

Breizh .

#3 stelu85

stelu85

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:35 AM

first thing is : we are in maintenance turnaround and we have no time to purchase different gaskets. due to time of arrival.

Main problem is that those spiral wound have been damaged several times on the same spot.

First proposal was to install a spiral wound with inner metal but those at the moment are not available.

Then we have available in warehouse those grafoil with inner filler 316L and seems to be a good compromise considering even the compatibility with Phenol.

any idea?

SM

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 01:48 AM

Hi ,

Be extremely cautious with the gasket selection , any leak of those materials can generate huge trouble ….( Severe burns, Fire if the diphenol are in contact with mineral wool ( self ignition ) .

Sorry I cannot  offer more .

In any case prepare a modification of change and validate it with relevant people.

Good luck

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 25 October 2019 - 01:49 AM.

#5 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:16 AM

Have you tried putting something like "grafoil chemical compatibility" into your favorite internet search engine? That search phrase returned several promising hits from several different vendors. Even if the chemical compatibility is not immediately available from the search results, you should get a choice of vendors or even a manufacturer, any one of which should have access to chemical compatibility information.