Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Typical Flare Vs Thermal Oxidizer

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

Hye all. Need your feedback on how to handle my situation. Currently i have a liquid ethylene tank which is when the tank is overpressure (due to any circumstances) , it will release the boil of gas to vent stack (to atm) and basically i want to upgrade to normal tank flare (elevated flare stack) located 65-70m away from tank. All those dispersion and radiation study shows that no issue identified and radiation to tank and nearby area still below limit. Just that owner insist to have thermal oxidizer where by when i communicate with vendor (zeeco and other reputable supplier) it says that not suitable for my application and if it suitable, it will become unrealistic huge and expensive. Plus that thermal oxidizer also not meant for emergency overpressure scenario. It is meant for continuous burning process and mostly waste gas and not for pure ethylene gas (because of its high heating value compared to typical waste gas that contain mostly CO, N2 etc).

But still they insist to study the thermal oxidizer. Can i have any guidance on what parameters to select the elevated flare, what parameters to select the thermal oxidizer and what parameters to select enclosed ground flare so that i have stronger basis to reject thermal oxidizer

Edited by farid.k, 25 October 2019 - 10:36 PM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:35 PM

Seems that your study is complete. Probably some junior cowboy wants to spend more time. If they don't like the answer, send them a change order to do the study.

Bobby

#3 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

Seems that your study is complete. Probably some junior cowboy wants to spend more time. If they don't like the answer, send them a change order to do the study.

Bobby

Thanks for the feedback.. I have no idea on how to convince them. My task is to minimise the risk of fire by eliminate the release of HC to atm but then they requesting something that irrelevant

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:37 AM   Best Answer

Hi Farid ,

To support your work a document about flare selection.

Regarding T.O I do believe it's not suitable for intermittent operation , especially when the flow rate to treat could be huge . One parameter to consider is the residence time , about 1 second,and the temperature to reach to destroy the material and  get a good efficiency (95% and above )

take a look at the link below :

https://www.pollutio...zer-flares.html

Another great reference :  The John Zink Hamworthy combustion handbook (2nd edition) volume 3  (CRC press )

dedicated chapters with deep information on Thermal oxidizer and Flares

Good luck

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 29 October 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#5 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:59 PM

Hi Farid ,
To support your work a document about flare selection.
Regarding T.O I do believe it's not suitable for intermittent operation , especially when the flow rate to treat could be huge . One parameter to consider is the residence time , about 1 second,and the temperature to reach to destroy the material and get a good efficiency (95% and above )
take a look at the link below :
https://www.pollutio...zer-flares.html

Another great reference : The John Zink Hamworthy combustion handbook (2nd edition) volume 3 (CRC press )

dedicated chapters with deep information on Thermal oxidizer and Flares

Good luck
Breizh

Thanks breizh for the very supportive information..
Regarding to thermal oxidizer, Yea,the same response with supplier