Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Amine Reflux Accumulator P&id

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ryn376

ryn376

Gold Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

I'm sorry for the basic question, but I come from the specialty chemicals world and came across a gas industry P&ID I don't understand at all (don't worry my job isn't P&ID or tower design on this...). Can somebody explain to me what is going on with this tower? Sorry for the hand sketch, but I cannot attach the actual P&ID. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:28 PM

hi ,

Consider the resource attached to support your work.

Good luck

Breizh

#3 gegio1960

gegio1960

Gold Member

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:22 AM

ryn376,

you have 2 stacked vessels:

- the (rich) amine regeneraror (column) above

- the column overhead accumulator below....integrated with the column heater(?)

the design seems compact but not very efficient.

for sure, this design is not adopted in refineries/gas plants (my fields), where amine regenarators are (almost) mandatory pieces of equipment.

maybe, you've other specific questions...

good luck!

#4 Sharma Varun

Sharma Varun

Gold Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 05:56 AM

you have 2 stacked vessels:

- the (rich) amine regeneraror (column) above

- the column overhead accumulator below....integrated with the column heater(?)

However for lean amine there should be only one stream i.e. regenerator column bottom, lean amine indicated as entering from top must be reflux 

#5 ryn376

ryn376

Gold Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

I tried to show stream elevations exactly as shown on the P&ID. Thank you for your responses. A few more questions.

-Are the rich amine and lean amine both liquids?

-What is the lean amine stream for?

-What is going out the top of the tower to the condenser?  I assume that the point of this is to remove H2S and CO2 from the rich amine out the top of the column.

-Are there trays in the bottom or is the heating water added directly to the distillate (is that even the right term for this)? Does the distillate take CO2 and H2S with it or just the small amount of water vapor that flashes from one of the amine streams?

Edited by ryn376, 11 March 2020 - 09:53 AM.

#6 gegio1960

gegio1960

Gold Member

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:12 AM

@sharma: agree. and there should be a pump somewhere.

@ryn:

1) Are the rich amine and lean amine both liquids? ---yes
2) What is the lean amine stream for? ---it is used somewhere for washing/sweetening acid gases
3) What is going out the top of the tower to the condenser?  I assume that the point of this is to remove H2S and CO2 from the rich amine out the top of the column. ---yes. at the top you have sour gases
4) Are there trays in the bottom or is the heating water added directly to the distillate (is that even the right term for this)? ---stripped/sour gas is a better word. about the presence of trays, probably no...but the plant is yours.
5) Does the distillate take CO2 and H2S with it or just the small amount of water vapor that flashes from one of the amine streams? ---CO2/H2S and water in the stripped gas

#7 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:08 AM

Hello,

The regenerator is like one I saw in article "Improved Absorber-Stripper Technology for Gas Sweeting to Ultra-Low H2S Concentrations" by G.P. Towler, H.K. Shethna, B.Cole, B. Hajdik.

Edited by Nikolai T, 16 March 2020 - 09:15 AM.

#8 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:29 AM

Stacking the KO drum after an amine column used to be quite common to make plants have a smaller footprint and reduce the number of foundations needed.  But it isn't commonly done today, often because modern design recognizes that the internal head can be a stress problem area.  In this case, I suspect the "heating water" he has listed is actually a coil inside the KO drum to COOL the gas (the water is being heated) further, knocking out water/amine.