Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Hydraulic Resistance Of Tees Converging Vs. Diverging Flow Crane Tp 41

hydraulic resistance tee

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 PhilippM

PhilippM

Gold Member

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 05:01 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the hydraulic resistance of a tees: Suppose you have a 90 degree tee with an area ratio of 1 (i.e. the branch has the same diameter/area as the straight/combined leg) and flow ratio Qbranch/Qqcombined of 1 (i.e. the entire flow changes direction and enters/leaves in the branch and leaves/enters at the combined leg).

For this situation, figures 2-14 and 2-16 of Crane TP 410 give different values for Kbranch (1.1 for converging flow, 1.7 for diverging flow).

Up until now I always (naively) thought that the direction in which the flow through a tee occurs does not influence the pressure drop, as all the other sources/tables I found about equivalent lengths of fittings always state a single value for "Tee-branch", "Tee, flow through branch" (or whatever they call it) and don't distinguish between the directions.

Does anyone know the reason for this difference?

I am guessing flow separation that occurs at different parts of the tee depending on the direction.

Kind regards

Philipp

P.S. I already ordered the "Handbook of Hydraulic Resistance" by I.E. Idelchik this morning, as Crane TP 410 refers to it for more information about different configurations for tees and wyes