Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Chimney Tray

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Venkat @89

Venkat @89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:16 AM

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know, does the chimney trays designed to draw the side product in fractionation columns has got any overflow line?

As the side-draw products are drawn with pumps from chimney trays, in case if both running and standby pump fails, the chimney tray gets filled-up and bottom trays to chimney tray may get dry?, I just want to know, if chimney trays has got any overflow line or not?

Even if the chimney tray has got the overflow line, the capacity of flow through overflow line doesn't match the pump internal reflux flow that is supplied with the help of pump? Am I right?  

Please guide me. Thanks.

#2 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:04 AM

Hi,

It has ports for vapor flow and it maintain overflow too in your case. Flow can be greater than the pump performance, it depends.

Regards

#3 Sharma Varun

Sharma Varun

Gold Member

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 03:53 AM

Well yes in case of external reflus if the reflux pump trips and could not be started the trays below chimney tray or section where external reflux is pumped will go dry.

In case of an internal reflux chimney tray there is provision for constant liquid dropping from the chimney tray itself.

#4 Venkat @89

Venkat @89

Gold Member

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:53 PM

Thanks for your replies,

I doubt, if it is really possible for overflow of the liquid through chimney tray vapor ports, as the chimney tray Vapor bottom pressure is higher than liquid pressure on the chimney tray, and most importantly as the liquid has to overflow, the static head factor also doesn't come into play.

what do you say?

Kindly help to understand this.

#5 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:58 PM

Hi, Venkat,

Send us sketch of your tray, please.

Regards