Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation Condenser, Self-Adjusting Duty?

8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 RDENG

RDENG

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 03:37 AM

Hi!

I'm trying to understand the fundamentals of distillation condenser duty control and I'm looking for your assistance for it. Thanks in advance!

I'm thinking of very simple and common control merhod for column pressure control shown in attachment (total condenser, atmospheric column, vent released to atmosphere, no control in CW flow).  Question is: what is controlling condenser duty in this method?

Lets assume that we have this column operating at 50 % capacity, so also the condenser duty is at 50 % capacity and the pressure remains constant. When we increase duty to 100 % also the condenser duty must increase to 100 % to keep column pressure at the setpoint. Cooling water flow is not increased. Increased vapor load is not diverted to vent. So what changes and causes increased condensing duty? Reduced inert concentration in condenser?

Regards,

Attached Files

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 10:20 AM

If you have a total condenser, there is no duty control. The duty varies as the feed varies. As long as you have enough exchanger capacity and cooling utility flow, all the feed is condensed. The heat transfer coefficient is greatest on the exchanger surface where the vapor changes to liquid. Any extra surface area beyond what is necessary to condense the feed is available as reserve.

As an imperfect analogy, think of hot vapor bubbling into a pool of water... what controls the duty? As long as there is enough water, the vapor will cool to approach the temperature of the water. Your atmospheric condenser is similar except there is a thin piece of metal between the water and the hot vapor feed.

#3 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:35 PM

Partial condenser is on your drawing. To set pressure in the column the control valve on vent line is needed.

#4 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 07:45 PM

For total condenser find "Troubleshooting a Hot Vapor Bypass Control Instability"  Henry Z. Kister, Daryl W. Hanson. Hope it helps.

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:53 AM

HI ,

You may find hints in the doc attached .

Good luck

Breizh 

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:06 AM

Hi,

A more general paper about Distillation column control .

Good luck

Breizh 

#7 RDENG

RDENG

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:55 AM

Thank you all for your replies! Let me just challenge a bit of your views for better understanding.

PILESAR: "As long as you have enough exchanger capacity and cooling utility flow, all the feed is condensed... ... Any extra surface area beyond what is necessary to condense the feed is available as reserve." Is it really that simple? Ain't it so that condenser is always full of vapor and condensing rate determines the inlet flow (condensing reduces pressure and sucks more inlet vapor). There must be some effect that adjusts condensing rate automaticly?

Nikolai T: you're rigth that valve in vent line is needed if we wan't to set the pressure different than atmospheric. In my understanding small vent is needed almost always to remove non-condensables.

Regards,

#8 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:54 AM

Hi,

Another good reference about Distillation control .

Enjoy the reading

Breizh 

#9 RDENG

RDENG

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:12 AM

Thanks Breizh for the shared documents!

I found some discussion close to this in a very good topic ("vacuum condenser configuration"):

https://www.cheresou...-configuration/

In this topic Katmar mentions that condenser duties are self-adjusting, but the working principle is not mentioned in detail. Please help me understand this phenomenon.

BR, RDENG