Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Vacuum Pump Sizing(Duty)

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 12:53 AM

Hi all, for effecting vacuum in a distillation column once I determine the leakage rate of air+non condensibles in kg/hr (or m3/hr) are there any correlations or curves available to come up with a rough duty of the liquid seal vacuum pump needed? this is required for conceptual design/costing purposes so need not be super accurate.

to summarize, given a column of particular size and vacuum needed(liek say 200mmHg) what is the approximate duty(or power in BHP) of vacuum pump needed is the topic on which I am looking for some thumb rules or some industry established quick methods..

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,347 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 01:14 AM

Hi,

Let you study this document attached .

From  my memory you should be able to find calculators on Internet . I've in mind one from Edwards pump

Good luck

Breizh 

#3 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 03:08 AM

thanks for quick response as always..will go thru the document

#4 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 03:11 AM

iam wondering, using the simulator, if the vacuum pump can be modeled as some sort of compressor or blower with suction at vacuum and discharge at atmospheric pressure or above and get the power calculated(by manipulating the efficiency inputs) and use it as some sort of  duty?

#5 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 06:20 AM

if yes, then what can the effieincy be mentioned as in aspen to arrive at correct duty?