Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

3-Phase Separator Vapor Capacity

3 phase separator design oil and gas separator weir height vapor capacity upstream retention time

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kengor10

kengor10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 11:23 AM

Hello,

I'm investigating the design of horizontal 3-Phase separators with standard weirs to separator Oil, Brine, and Associated Gas in Upstream Oil and Gas sector. I have created a spreadsheet to size the separator primarily based upon methodology presented in the GPSA section 7 (see attached spreadsheet).

My questions are:

-How tall can we make the weir?

-Are there any other factors I'm not considering?

-Is my method of estimating vapor capacity accurate?

The taller the weir is the more liquid can be retained within the vessel decreasing the size of vessel needed for a specific retention time. The trade off is as the liquid level increases vapor capacity decreases. From everything I have read on the subject, these separators are sized primarily on retention time while vapor capacity is ignored and weir height isn't mentioned. 

From the one separator I have seen designed and put into use the vapor space required was 1/6 of the vapor space available. It just seems a bit inefficient to me and I don't know if I'm missing something. The operating conditions of the separator I'm talking about are currently input into the spreadsheet. As mentioned previously, this separator has already been built and put into service but I'm looking to improve on the design of this type of vessel.

Standard control equipment for the vessels would be level controllers and valves on either side of the weir and a back pressure control valve on the vapor outlet. Also, this is the first vessel in the processing train. 

Any guidance or input is appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by kengor10, 06 May 2022 - 11:24 AM.

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 04:29 PM

Is this an academic exercise? If you have the GPSA databook, that should give you all you need. I have a sample sizing page at my website. And there is also a page for sizing decanters with an overflow weir.

Bobby

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 07:35 PM

Hi,

You may find pointers reading this thread:

https://www.cheresou...gestion-needed/

note : using your favorite search engine you may find what you are looking for ,Google 3 phase separator sizing .

GPSA should be a good resource.

Good luck

Breizh 

#4 kengor10

kengor10

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 05:01 PM

I'm not sure if either of you bothered to read through the whole post. Thank you nonetheless for your replies. I tend to exhaust most other options before turning to these forums for questions, but I understand your plight. 

No, not an academic exercise.

After more thought I have come to the conclusion that the weir height and normal liquid level is not set as a function of vapor capacity but as a function of surge time.

If you raise the weir height to use the full vapor capacity and maximize retention time for constant vessel dimensions, you are also reducing the amount of surge time to reach the High liquid level, which brings its own unique set of challenges. 

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 09:58 PM

Probably most common is a submerged weir. The height is usually determined by the water phase flow rate.

Bobby