Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Batch Process Optimization

batch pump optimization

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Huba

Huba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:45 PM

Hello,

I need to design a slurry filtration line, operated in batches.

There's some optimization work to reduce the total cycle time of the batch, if possible reduce/combine steps (ex.: oxidation and pH adjustement tank) and reduce number and volume of tanks.

Are there any approaches or tools I can look into?

Many thanks,

Quang-Danh

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 12 May 2022 - 10:21 PM

Hi,

Consider this paper about cycle time .

note : I don't think it's relevant to squeeze time during the chemical reaction process  . Kinetic and residence time are keys .

yes it's possible to have steps reduced with compact reactor where the stream overflows from one compartment to the other , basically a rectangular reactor. Ph adjustment , Fenton reaction and decantation  .

Lamellar decanter is also an option to reduce the size of the sludge compartment .

http://www.wrc.org.z...TT 651 - 15.pdf

My view.

Good luck.

Breizh 

#3 Huba

Huba

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 May 2022 - 08:51 AM

Hi,

Consider this paper about cycle time .

note : I don't think it's relevant to squeeze time during the chemical reaction process  . Kinetic and residence time are keys .

yes it's possible to have steps reduced with compact reactor where the stream overflows from one compartment to the other , basically a rectangular reactor. Ph adjustment , Fenton reaction and decantation  .

Lamellar decanter is also an option to reduce the size of the sludge compartment .

http://www.wrc.org.z...TT 651 - 15.pdf

My view.

Good luck.

Breizh 

Thank you Breizh.

I agree that the kinetics will be one of the constraints for time.

In my case, I have holding tanks upstream of filter presses and before transferring to another precipitation/filtration step, so I think there's room for reduction.

Regards,

#4 sybase666

sybase666

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 June 2022 - 04:13 AM

definitely, the process constraints will be the bottle neck, if you are sure process constraints are not the problem, you want to optimize the control logic, some dynamic simulation software can be used.