Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Column With Packings

8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 07:07 PM

If I know the packing height of my column. How can I calculate the number of the equilibrium stages in order to use them in my Aspen simulation?

Thank you in advance!

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 09:00 PM

Column efficiency varies for packed columns as well as for trayed columns. The composition and flow rates for the vapor and liquid matter as well as the type of packing. Stages are usually shorter than 2 feet of height. There are lots of variables so you may want to consult the column designer or the packing manufacturer if you do not have access to the design calcs. If you have an existing column, you can use simulation to back-calculate the column efficiency using historical data.

#3 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 05:07 AM

Hi Pilesar, I thought that with the equilibrium model if you use trays or packing, the effect is on hydraulics of column and not really on the compositions. The compositions are result of number of trays and reflux ratio.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 08:12 AM

Here is a link to an article which seems a good summary of some of the parameters affecting tower efficiency: https://chempedia.in...ked_hetp_value/

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,351 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

You may want to study this material .

Breizh 

#6 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 10:04 AM

Thank you both! I am going to read the documents and I will come to you if I have any questions!!!

#7 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 12:25 PM

Hi Pilesar, I thought that with the equilibrium model if you use trays or packing, the effect is on hydraulics of column and not really on the compositions. The compositions are result of number of trays and reflux ratio.

Your talking about theoretical stages of seperation not real world trays with efficiencies, 2 trays with 50% efficency are equivalent to 1 theoretical stage.

Real trays can vary between 0% and 120+% efficiency.

Edited by SilverShaded, 26 February 2023 - 12:26 PM.

#8 panagiotis

panagiotis

Gold Member

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 01:02 PM

Hi Silver, I am refering to theoretical stages!! Do you might have any view on my question?

#9 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 02:53 PM

Hi Silver, I am refering to theoretical stages!! Do you might have any view on my question?

Yes, guess the number of stages and adjust the effciency of your trays to match whatever data you have be it design or operational.  If you have no data, get the HETP from the vendor.