Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

High Temperature Flare Gas

c7 h2 flaring flare design high temperature heptane

5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Pedro_Kaiser

Pedro_Kaiser

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 01:31 PM

Dear all,

A potential customer for a flare tip (and maybe also the riser) wants to flare a 264.000,00 kg/h stream containing 80% C7H16 equivalent + 20% H2 (mol) @ 268 °C. Generally speaking, what should be a good temperature may I ask them to cool the stream? To 120, 150 °C? It is an estimative proposal I have to submit within this week.

Cooling the stream would result in a cheaper flare tip as volumetric flow would descrease as well it would avoid using more expensive material or protection around piping. I don't think it would be a good idea to work with such high temperature.

I know this question and (its answer) shoud be more specific, but, if you could at least send some thoughts as guidelines I would really appreciate.

Thank you very much in advance.

Pedro Kaiser

Chemical Engineer

Edited by Pedro_Kaiser, 12 June 2023 - 01:40 PM.

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 02:55 PM

As a customer I would appreciate being told of the consequences and would like to hear 'Can you reduce the design temperature? These high temperatures will require much more expensive materials and engineering.' The customer may not be aware. They may still say 'no.' If you do not think you can provide a competitive bid for their stated conditions, you can also choose to no-bid or provide a solution assuming lower temperature and noting the exception in your response. The lower cost with the exception compared to other bidders may make the customer look closer at their cost to reduce temperature.

#3 Pedro_Kaiser

Pedro_Kaiser

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 09:57 PM

Thank you very much, Sir! Agree with you!

As a customer I would appreciate being told of the consequences and would like to hear 'Can you reduce the design temperature? These high temperatures will require much more expensive materials and engineering.' The customer may not be aware. They may still say 'no.' If you do not think you can provide a competitive bid for their stated conditions, you can also choose to no-bid or provide a solution assuming lower temperature and noting the exception in your response. The lower cost with the exception compared to other bidders may make the customer look closer at their cost to reduce temperature.

#4 shvet1

shvet1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 08:18 AM

Cooling the stream would result in a cheaper flare tip 

Colling the stream would result in a cheaper flare tip and more expensive and less reliable flare system as cooling might become an expensive and complicated option.

Let's discuss in details capex and opex of this flare system in the whole.

Edited by shvet1, 14 June 2023 - 08:19 AM.

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 06:42 PM

You should respond with a proposal that meets the requirements. There will be lots more discussion to follow.

Bobby

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 10:51 PM

Hi,

Consider this link to support your work.

https://www.iaeng.or...pp1500-1504.pdf

Breizh