Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Drawing Symbol For Overpressure Protector Valve?

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Hankj

Hankj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 08:57 AM

The particular devices I am talking about are typically used to protect gauges and instruments. They are all mechanical, spring loaded. When the pressure hits the set point, the piston slams the valve shut to protect the gauge from higher pressures. Once the pressure drops 25-30%, the valve opens again. 

They are also called Pressure Limiting Valves from manufacturers like Ashcroft. Wika and many others refer to them as overpressure protector valves. 

I am looking to put these into my P&ID and isometric drawings but cannot find a drawing symbol for them. Anyone else use these devices and have a nice way to draw them? Best I can come up with right now is the classic valve symbol, with a piston actuator, and an internal sensing line back to the inlet side. 

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 11:18 AM

Mr. Google shows lots of possibilities: https://www.google.c...sch&source=univ

The trouble would be that those reading the P&ID will have the same trouble deciphering the symbol as you have deciding on what to use.

I would probably choose something simple and add a note on the P&ID with explanation.

#3 Hankj

Hankj

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 12:27 PM

I do not see any results from Mr. Google that look appropriate. With what you searched, it's mostly showing symbols for regulators and relief valves. This is not a regulator. 

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 22 September 2023 - 12:47 PM

Ask a manufacturer.

Bobby

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 06:17 AM

Hi,

Agree with Pilesar:

"I would probably choose something simple and add a note on the P&ID with explanation".

Did you ask the manufacturer of those equipment?

"They are also called Pressure Limiting Valves from manufacturers like Ashcroft. Wika and many others refer to them as overpressure protector valves."

Breizh