Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Check Valve As Safety Valve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_storry_*

Guest_storry_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 November 2003 - 08:46 AM

Please could you help me with a dilemma over the use of check valves (non-return valves) as the relief valve on a tank. Any comments on where they could be applied and how appropriate they are would be welcome.

One instance where I have seen them used is where the equipment is normally operated under vacuum.

I have also seen them located on a storage tank kept under a low pressure nitrogen blanket.

I am concerned as to what is or isn't appropriate. Particularly if the storage tanks are rated as pressure vessels.

#2 sahas

sahas

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 01:30 PM

As a secondary device a spring loaded check valve may acts as vauum relief. However by code this cannot be a primary safety device as listed in the overpressure protection report for the specific system if a storage tank is rated as Pressure vessel.

Section VIII Div 1 does not address on vacuum releif valves.

Please refer to API 2000 for Atmospheric /Low Pressure storage tanks

Hope this helps

#3 Guest_storry_*

Guest_storry_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 12 November 2003 - 05:48 AM

Thank you for the reply.

Could a check valve be used as a secondary pressure relief valve. For instance if it is set to lift a a pressure below that of the main bursting disc.

#4 Guest_Ben Thayer_*

Guest_Ben Thayer_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:29 AM

Yes, as a "secondary device" you may have a check valve in addition to the main rupture disc or relief valve.

Most tanks have some type of "device" to allow for normal "breathing" when filling/emptying the tank. Depending on the nature of the material being stored, these devices may be pad/de-pad nitrogen regulators or conservation breather vents.

But having a regulator set to maintain 6" w.c. or having a check valve with 0.5 psi cracking pressure does not mean you don't need a relief device.

I would not characterize the check valve as a relief device but as just another piping component.