Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

About Oleochemicals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 apis

apis

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:04 AM

Hi to all my new friends,
Actually i'm the new members in this forum. I have a problem that i need to solve. My problems is related to the oleochemicals field. I have a pitch(waste from fractional distillation column)which consist of 0.17% Lauric acids, 0.614% myristic acids,31.81% palmitic acids,4.63% stearic acids, 38.17% oleic acids and 7.81% linoleic acids(all percentage is in mass fraction). My problems here is i want to separate the oleic acids in pitch as high as possible.But what make me become headache is what is the suitable method of separation that i need to use to produce highest percentage of my product(oleic acids). I tried to use distillation method but it's failed because the ratio of relative volatility of oleic acid to the linoleic acids is below than 1.So, the separation using distillation method is impossible to happen(I think).So, anyone out there, please help me to solve my problems with gives your opinion. Ur opinion is very usefull for me and i really2 appreciate it.This is the pressure and temperature of the pitch(12 mbar,278 degree celcius,flow rate is between 30-500kg/h).

#2 musrey

musrey

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (apis @ Aug 30 2007, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi to all my new friends,
Actually i'm the new members in this forum. I have a problem that i need to solve. My problems is related to the oleochemicals field. I have a pitch(waste from fractional distillation column)which consist of 0.17% Lauric acids, 0.614% myristic acids,31.81% palmitic acids,4.63% stearic acids, 38.17% oleic acids and 7.81% linoleic acids(all percentage is in mass fraction). My problems here is i want to separate the oleic acids in pitch as high as possible.But what make me become headache is what is the suitable method of separation that i need to use to produce highest percentage of my product(oleic acids). I tried to use distillation method but it's failed because the ratio of relative volatility of oleic acid to the linoleic acids is below than 1.So, the separation using distillation method is impossible to happen(I think).So, anyone out there, please help me to solve my problems with gives your opinion. Ur opinion is very usefull for me and i really2 appreciate it.This is the pressure and temperature of the pitch(12 mbar,278 degree celcius,flow rate is between 30-500kg/h).

#3 musrey

musrey

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:44 AM

Look in "Chemical Process Industries" by Shreve.

#4 aluma

aluma

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:35 AM

My first take to this problem would be extractive distillation with ionic liquids. This would be ideal because of the high temperatures involved.
Active research on this is going on at the Technical University in Eindhoven, The Netherlands. You may wish to check it up in journals.

Daniel