Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Commissioning

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mishra.anand72@gmail.com

mishra.anand72@gmail.com

Gold Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

I am looking for quality books/Manuals about commissioning for chemical plant. Plz provide publisher name, author name and book name. If you have soft copies, kindly mail me. I will appreciate and be obliged any help in said matter.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

Are you asking us to send you PIRATED, electronic copies of copy-righted material - for FREE?

Please reply so that I can understand what you are requesting - in detail.

#3 mishra.anand72@gmail.com

mishra.anand72@gmail.com

Gold Member

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:36 PM

O.K. How you could think of by pirated CDs. I will explain further. I am looking good quality of books providing quality informations and details about Chemical Plant commissioning. If you soft copies, kindly mail me, if you do not face problem in sharing. If you face problem in sharing soft copies, plz provide publisher name, author name and book name.

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:20 AM

Mishra:

I don’t know where you are located and what your experience is, but I think I have an idea of what you are requesting. I would welcome your constructive comments or any corrections you can point to in my comments, indicating where I am wrong and giving me detailed and specific information. You haven’t addressed or answered my basic question: “Are you asking us to send you PIRATED, electronic copies of copy-righted material - for FREE?”

I think what you are looking for is help in putting together a logical, specific, and integrated set of instructions for inspecting, pre-commissioning, turning over, commissioning, and safely starting up a major piece of equipment such as a Gas Turbine, a Pump, a compressor, etc., etc. Am I correct in assuming this? This is a reasonable and typical engineering situation that many experienced process and project engineers find themselves in from time-to-time when they are involved in major capital projects.

I am presently involved in writing the documentation for doing all of the above for a major international oil field development project. I personally know the complexity and the detailed team work required to carry out such a venture. I originally started out as the lead engineer in specifying, evaluating, and selecting the vendors for such equipment and followed that up by coordinating all purchasing, client inspections, changes, approvals, and generation of P&IDs as well as all control philosophy and hazops. You can safely say I have been deeply involved in this type of work. My client has the standards, codes, and procedures to apply to all the above and I generate the documentation that fulfills those needs --- in a formal, documented and formatted manner.

There are no existing “quality books about commissioning chemical plants” to my knowledge. If there were, I would have them here in my office library or in my home library. There certainly are “Manuals” regarding this type of material – and in great detail and workmanship. However, all these manuals are strictly proprietary and are controlled documentation that belongs to either our Clients or our organization. Anyone taking this information and using it outside of project scope or distributing it to others without authorized approval is committing a felonious wrong. I think you are aware of that ethical rule.

I don’t have a problem in sharing this truth with you. I do have a problem with anyone using the Forum as a means to obtain or distribute copyrighted or other material that legally belongs to someone else – as clearly expressed many countries and their court systems. I have never had a problem in sharing any engineering ideas, calculations, or products that are strictly my property and which I have created or developed. I certainly would have a problem in supply something that doesn’t belong to me.

Do you have a problem in receiving any copyrighted material or other engineering product that belongs to another engineer or engineering company?

#5 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:59 AM

Mishra,
I can only second Art's commentary regarding your inquiry. There are no good quality books (like a text book, for example) that I have ever seen or heard about that covers writing a commissioning manual. I really doubt one exists. Even if it did, it would have to be very general and, except by extreme coincidence, would not have much to say about the specifics of commissioning your facility. Check your library and/or the internet for help on technical writing in general and I'm sure you will find a wealth of information.

That said, I will relax about any suspicions that you are attempting to obtain and utilize any sort of trade secrets. Instead, I would think of your inquiry in terms of what sort of topics should be covered, how to arrange the topics, what types of reference materials (e.g. MSDS sheets) to include as reference materials, etc. Even limiting things in this manner, it is very difficult to reply to your type of inquiry. I find that I cannot produce good quality responses to general or vague inquiries. Please rethink your needs and try to formulate them into specific inquiries and I will try to offer useful suggestions.
Regards,
Doug