Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Separator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

hi every one:
We have a separator for natural gas after chiller. The gas go to separator. The height of separator is about 8 feet and OD is about 30 inches. My question is?
Is it OK to shorten the height of separator and increase the OD of the separator. what will be the impact on separation of liquid. will it eliminate liquid from natural gas efficiently.
thank you very much for help.

#2 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:19 AM

Practically speaking, if you shorten the length and increase the diameter, you are, in fact, going to purchase a new separator. (I hope you realize that.) In sizing a new vertical vapor-liquid separator, you typically apply the well known Brown-Sauders equation. Essentially, this gives you a vessel diameter that is sufficient to permit disengagement between the phases. Vertical dimensions tend to be set by a variety of practical (geometric) and process (e.g. residence time) considerations. Increasing a separator's diameter does enhance phase disengagement to a point. (I say that because many demisters rely on inertial impingement for at least some of their effectiveness. This is diminished as the vapor velocity drops.) Vertical dimensions provide adequate spacing for attaining the desired fluid flow paths (even though fully developed flow is not achieved), respect practical construction limitations, and provide enough residence time that effective control is attained. Hope that helps.

#3 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

Thanks allot for explanation.