Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Interstage Separator

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process101

process101

Gold Member

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

Hi every one:
Can any one explain me that what is interstage separator? And when do we use it?
thanks allot in advance.

#2 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (process101 @ Jul 22 2008, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi every one:
Can any one explain me that what is interstage separator? And when do we use it?
thanks allot in advance.

Dear Process101, Out of many applications I just recall the use in between the copression stages of compressors where vapour mixed gases drom flare gas streams were compressed for routing into refinery fired heater burners.
Hope this helps; since the liquid(if any) formed from previous stage will be damaging the compressor piston/ cylinder of subsequent stage ;thus to be handled by interstage separator.
Best Regards
Qalander

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:32 PM

An alternate way of looking at this is as follows:

Compressors do well with gases and vapors, but definitely do NOT like liquids. Depending on the particulars, a compressor may be rapidly destroyed by liquid droplets entering. Common practice therefore calls for the installation of separators, also known as Knock Out Pots or Drums, immediately upstream of each and every stage of compression. These devices allow for any liquids present to drop out of the vapors flowing into the compressor, thereby avoiding damage to the compressor.

Now for a word of practical advice. If you spend too much time indoors and don't get out and visit "the real world" then you run the risk of doing something silly like running a simulation that says there is no liquid present in the vapor stream to a compressor. The stale air may cause you to believe your model and to be tempted to dispense with the all-important separator. Just two words of advice here - Don't do it. I can assure you that you WILL get liquid into your system and, without the separator, you will feed it into your compressor with unhappy results. This applies to all stages of compression.